Originally from The Netherlands, where I trained as a creative therapist – one of the psychotherapy modalities based on psychodynamics -, I immigrated to New Zealand in my early twenties. I have been working as a counsellor, therapist, coach, trainer and clinical supervisor for the past 29 years. I am also an artist and bring a depth of both personal and professional experience.
My passion has always been to help people express the essence of who they really are. This has been my own personal journey and along the way, I have learned a wide range of modalities that have all helped my clients and me.
I have been in private practice since 1994. I have done extensive post grad training in a number of therapy modalities.
- MNZAC – New Zealand Association of Counsellors
- AAMET – Supervisor
- WINZ and the PHO
I am a full member of NZAC since 1993. I am registered with WINZ, PHO, Victim Support and NZDF.
Experience, training, professional background
- 3 year (part time) post grad Gestalt Therapy training
- 1 year (part time) supervision training
- Trauma training – from 1993 and ongoing
- Trainings facilitated in: Communication Skills; Assertiveness Skills; Life Skills for Healthy Living; Working with Clients with Eating Disorders
- Group facilitation
- Guest lecturer at Massey (Masters of Counselling programme)
- Guest lecturer at UCOL (Dip Counselling)
- Assessor UCOL (Dip Counselling) final assessment
- Assessor NZAC (New Zealand Association of Counsellors) for applicant members
- Special expertise in: group facilitation; working with clients suffering from trauma (violence, torture, sexual assault, homicide); clients suffering from anxiety and stress; clients suffering from eating disorder and body image issues; providing clinical supervision.
- Organised the first EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) national conference
- Presented at (and attended) international and national conferences
- Published a range of professional and popular articles
- Author of self-help e-book
Interested in what I have to offer? Throughout my 25+ years’ experience I have earned an excellent reputation as a practitioner of personal development services. From in-depth counselling to life coaching, I provide a service that can help you to get where you need to be.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or if you would like to make an appointment.
MNZAC, Counsellor, Registered with NZAC
Counselling Palmerston North
I’m Mayan, counsellor, life coach and EFT-therapist. I love helping people feel happier.
I can help you with issues such as stress and anxiety, fears and phobias, trauma, addictions, eating disorders and many other issues.